How do I settle my case under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) and Defense Base Act (DBA)?

Video Transcription:

First, you should have a lawyer if you plan to settle your case, just to make sure that you get a reasonable settlement. A settlement is voluntary. It’s negotiated between you and the employer carrier.
If the parties agree to a settlement amount, then the settlement is reduced to writing in what is known as a Section eight I settlement application. The eight I agreement is then sent to the department of labor where it must be approved or rejected by OWCP or the administrative law judge.